Downtown: Traffic, Walkability, Bikeability

Downtown – Traffic, Walkability, Bikeability
Chair:  Joel Clark
Meeting Date – May 8th at the Town Office

    Downtown Traffic, Parking, Walkability Task Force Draft Meeting Minutes 13 April 2016

    Members Present

    Linda Wirtz
    Glenn Gurit
    Eugene Bombard
    Joel Clark

    1. Review last meeting minutes – Minutes were reviewed. No changes made.

    2. Sidewalk / Walkability – Due to illness, Elisabeth could not make it. The sidewalk survey event was discussed. The Arts Council has stated they would participate in the event if desired. They would set up sidewalk art activities. Linda mentioned 8 sidewalk panels by the trinity Church were in disrepair. Also noted the rain garden project was causing some puddling next to the sidewalk.  Eugene expressed a concern with making sure sidewalks are included in any project review by the DRB / Planning.  The question of painting sidewalks through long driveways was discussed. It can be part of the survey.

    3. Bikeability – the new paving project and bike lanes was discussed. It was mentioned sharrows were part of the project. Access limitations to sidewalks due to grading and curbs was discussed.

    4. Task Force Method of Communication

    a. Trello

    b. Facebook

    c. Status Quo

    The three methods of communicating were discussed. It was unanimous to stay with status quo – email.

    5. Enforcement – Eugene noted no change to the speed limit until the new paving project was complete and new traffic patterns observed, up to a year. Vergennes 25 MPH speed limit was discussed as well as their signs regarding engine brakes. It was decided to invite Chief Stell to the next meeting.

    6. Assign Tasks / Task Review – Joel to bring map of streets and sidewalks to next meeting.

    7. Budget – No budget requests were made.

    8. Other

    a. Fitness and Rec Path – Discussion about graffiti and signs took place. Also noted that leafs should be cleared.

    b. Community Event – Glenn noted the positive atmosphere at the Community Celebration 16March. He liked the Task Force’s table.

    ”Read

    Downtown Traffic, Parking, Walkability Task Force Meeting Minutes 21 January 2016

    Members present

    Joel Clark
    Reg Beliveau
    Gene Bombard
    Elisabeth Nance
    Irene Cook
    Linda Wirtz
    Hank Lambert

    1. Review last meeting minutes – No comments were made regarding the meeting minutes from the 11 November meeting.

    2. Review original goals – A quick review of the goals was accomplished again. No significant comments made.

    3. 2016 Paving Project / Changes near Merchants Row – Reggie briefed the 2016 paving project that involves work near Merchants Row. He and Loco Motion had made some proposed changes to the State to improve the flow, the walkability, the bikeability and parking near Merchants Row. Two alternatives were presented and discussed. The group agreed that alternative #2 was the preferred option. The number of parking spaces increased by 5. It was agreed to look at possibly adding a crosswalk by the Chamber and deleting the one by Kinney Pike Ins.

    4. Walkability – Elisabeth will be heading up an inventory in the spring. Reggie briefed that a grant was received for three flashing cross walk signs. One will be placed by the rail Trail, one by the library and the third location being determined.

    5. Bikeablity – No updates here other than bikeability improvements are being incorporated into the 2016 paving project.

    6. Parking Updates

    a. Church Lot – The lot has been leased by the Town. The posts have been removed. More work when the weather improves. The town and the Village are alternating the plowing responsibilities.

    b. Merchants Row South – improvements will be made in spring.

    7. Enforcement

    a. Reggie will encourage the village to look at 25 mph all over. Eugene had some concerns this

    b. Flexible Crosswalk markers were discussed. Reggie to check with Loco Motion if they have might back traffic up. Hank stated there were six items a municipality needed to consider to include traffic studies. Joel to follow up with NWRPC on traffic study. (note: on Friday 29 January, Joel and Reggie discussed with Bethany Remers the study requirements. It was decided it could be accomplished with Village police equipment. any samples /suggestions.

    c. Radar Trailer – The village has borrowed one from the Border Patrol. They are still looking to purchase one of their own.

    8. Assign Tasks / Task Review – Elisabeth showed everyone the new task tracking form. She took notes and will publish the list.

    9. Budget – No significant items discussed.

    10. Other – The February 18th Community Celebration was discussed.

    ”Read

    Traffic, Parking & Walkability task force minutes - July 8th, 2015

    Meeting Minutes

    Traffic, Walkability, Bikeability and Parking Downtown Task Force

    08 July 2015

    Attendees

    Joel Clark – chair

    Linda Wirts

    Molly Lambert

    Gene LaBombard

    Todd Conger

    Elisabeth Nance

    Glen Gurwit

    Updates

    1. Traffic Study – Joel noted that he had discussed the possibility of a study with Bethany Remmers of NWRP. She stated instead of going with a contract, she would possibly use in house resources to help with a study. The task force felt a letter from the village to NWRP would be appropriate to get the request from the local authority to NWRP would be appropriate. Joel will draft a letter for the village to consider sending to NWRP. Elisabeth mentioned a 2000 traffic study she has read. She has forwarded it.

    2. Walkability – There was no update from regarding Katelin Brewer-Colie of Local Motion and a walk/bike safety action plan. Elisabeth was going to contact Katelin and discuss the plan and see how it fit in with the Mark Fenton visit of early October. Glenn shard a concern on a repair at the red light.

    3. Bikeability – See note above regarding walk/bike safety plan.

    a. Bike racks – SEP to fund four – two in the park, one by the Churches and one @ Swanton Beach. Discussed having one @ Hannafords. Elisabeth to check.

    b. Bike Repair Stand – Todd provided a cut sheet on a bike repair stand. Something for the task force to consider.

    4. Parking

    a. Church lot – A draft layout was provided. Village and Town need to review and take action on letter provided by Memorial United Methodist Church.

    b. New Merchants Row – No new info

    c. Other Possible Expansions – A sketch of a possible increase in parking near the Prouty building was provided. It was decided to wait until the Fenton visit before more action was taken.

    5. Enforcement –the concern about traffic speed was discussed. It will be one of the items requested for review in a traffic study.

    6. Budget – We have a possibility of $2,000 through the RWJ foundation grant monies that were provided to Swanton. So far no requests have been presented.

    7. Other – Molly discussed contacting Bill Bennett of Vergennes to get some help with traffic issues.

    8. Next meeting – 05 August 2015.

     

    Action Items

    Item POC

    1. Letter to NWRP requesting Study Joel

    2. Contact Katelin Brewer-Colie Elisabeth

    3. Consider Bill Bennett to visit to look at traffic Molly

    4. Bike Rack at Hannafords Elisabeth

    5. Get Town and Village to respond to MUMC letter Joel

    ”Read

Swanton Enhancement Project © 2016
Webhosting provided by Swanton Village and Chamber of Commerce