Swanton is on the move and you’re all invited to join in the excitement! The Swanton Enhancement Project, through the recent Community Visit Process with the Vermont Council On Rural Development, has formed five task forces to take action on priorities established by community members. The Outdoor Recreation Task Force is chaired by Mary Metayer and Ron Kilburn. The Task Force meets at the Railroad Depot Museum on South River Street. Please see our Calendar for meeting schedules.
- Discussion Item: Signage & Brochure Updates: Betsy Fournier
- Mary, Betsy, and Ron met in January and picked 6 locations to consider signage. Betsy showed examples from Highgate that we all approved of. Messenger Print & Design and JC Image can create them. Pricing to follow.
- Betsy reported that NW Regional Planning Commission can provide maps,
- Betsy will meet with this committee to pursue maps.
- Actions/Who does/Due by: Mary, Betsy, and Ron to meet again to firm up request, then Meet with Messenger Print & Design, Spring, 2016
- Discussion Item: Communication idea/Improvements:
- Heather B. to connect with SEP Intern, Brian Story. She will do the tutorial for "Trello" and is familiar with Google communication tools.
- Actions/Who does/Due by: Heather B. She will learn more and get back to us to teach us, Spring, 2016
- Discussion Item: River Access Improvements: Ron Kilburn.
- Northern Forest Canoe Trail has committed to two improvements this summer. One will be above the dam, near the RR Depot Museum and one below the dam, at the Marble Mill Park Site. Ron is waiting to hear back about dates of plans and how we can assist.
- Actions/Who does/Due by: Ron to follow up, work done Summer, 2016
- Discussion Item: TrailFinder.info: Betsy with an update.
- This is a very cool new website (and we think App for mobile devices) to assist anyone find a trail to hike, bike, walk, canoe, kayak, etc. Once at the site, you can filter for the level of difficulty you need, length of trail and which activity you are looking to pursue. A RiseVt representative is being trained on how to add info. To the site.
- Actions/Who does/Due by: Everyone to check out TrailFinder.info and use it this summer, 2016
- Discussion Item: Skateboard Park Initiative:
- Betsy, there is a committee made up of teens and adults who are beginning to look at the improvements they'd like to see made at Marble Mill Park to create a skateboard park. They need to complete their tasks and meet again, but are working on a design and are looking for donations.
- Actions/Who does/Due by: Betsy and Reg Belivieau to meet with this group and let us know how we can support the process. Ongoing, 2016
Meeting Purpose: Outdoor Recreation Group
Meeting Date: March 1, 2015
Meeting Time: 6:30 PM
Location: Swanton Public Library
Scribe: Mary Metayer
Persons Present: Mary Metayer, Ron Kilburn, co-chairs Chad Metayer, Heather Buczkowski, Betsy Fournier, Gordon Clements
Finally, Announcement made to please join the Community Celebration which has been rescheduled to Wed., March 16, 2016 at 5:30 PM at Swanton Central School.”Read
Outdoor Recreation Meeting Priorities: August 10, 2015
Discussion Item Leader Next Steps Timeline
Signs Mary Metayer Compile list of possible signs and locations. List assets in Swanton, all to help,pls. email Mary so list is building “work in progress”. We'd like to purchase “icon” signs to have simplicity and uniformity....walking, biking, kayaking, etc... August & Sept., 2015
RiseVt Betsy Fournier New Grant to promote healthy lifestyles. Investigate if they have $ to help with signage and mapping costs. Fall, 2015
Bike Racks Mary Metayer Submitted a request to purchase 4 bike racks. Locations (up for further discussion) to be determined. Approved! Next, to order and install them! July, 2015
Biking Group Mary Metayer and/or Joel Clark from Downtown/Walkability Group Connect with the Downtown/Walk- ability Group. Invite EVERYONE to save the date Oct. 7-9th Mark Fenton a nationwide expert on healthy communities consultant will be visiting Swanton.... more info. to follow, a very exciting opportunity!
Mapping Group Heather Buczkowski Will meet with Ron Kilburn at chamber of comm. office and get a hard copy and an electronic copy of a map of Swanton to begin mapping all outdoor recreation opportunities. Looking for more volunteers.
Dam Ducky Derby Ron Kilburn and Historical Society, Mary Metayer and all of Swanton Enhancement Group invited to participate Set up sub-committee to plan this fundraising event. Sell rubber duckies and have a “race” from the bridge down the Miss. River and over the dam! October 3rd, 2015 Please save the date!!!
Skate Park (Possibility) Reg Beliveau & Swanton teenagers Would like to raise $ to install some skate park ramps at Marble Mill. Betsy Fournier offerred a mini-grant application to the Tyler Greeno Fund, which may be a good fit for their efforts. Possibility of a “Zumba-thon” to raise $.
Next Meeting To Plan Dam Ducky Derby
All are welcome to pitch in. Monday, Aug. 24, 6:30 PM RR Depot Museum Aug-Oct., 2015”Read
Outdoor Recreation Meeting Priorities: July 10, 2015
|Discussion Item||Leader||Next Steps||Timeline|
|Dam Overlook Project||Ron Kilburn||Across from VFW near the dam. Support provided by Swanton Village. Go check it out!||Completed June, 2015
|RiseVt||Betsy Fournier||New Grant to promote healthy lifestyles. We ALL need to sign up at RiseVT.com and “Take the Pledge” to commit to a healthier lifestyle.
|Bike Racks||Mary Metayer||Submitted a request to purchase 4 bike racks.
Locations (up for further discussion) to be determined
|Biking Group||Mary Metayer and/or Joel Clark from Downtown/Walkability Group||Connect with the Downtown/Walk-
ability Group. Invite EVERYONE to save the date Oct. 7-9th Mark Fenton a nationwide expert on healthy communities
consultant will be visiting Swanton....
more info. to follow, a very exciting opportunity!
|Depot Museum River Access||Ron Kilburn||Please bring your ideas to our next meeting. Town owns over 200 ft. of riverside. A long term idea is a floating dock.||Summer
|Looking for other ideas
for projects and improvements
|Gordon Clements||1. Would like to see more picnic areas
2. Swanton Beach is under used. Check on “wind surfing lessons”
or swimming lessons,
possibly through a future endeavor with Swanton Recreation
|To be Planned|
|Signage||Need someone to take the lead||Could we make our own? See “Way Finding Signs” created by other similar communities.||Ongoing|
|Mapping Group||Need someone to take the lead||Everyone investigate
an online data base of non-motorized trails throughout Vermont
|Next Meeting Date||Monday,
Aug. 10, 6:30 PM
|RR Depot Museum|
Outdoor Recreation Meeting Notes: June 3rd, 2015
Attending: Mary Metayer, Ron Kilburn, Dave Reissig, Chad Metayer, Betsy Fournier, Gordon Clements”Read
May 12th, 2015
Swanton Historical Society RailRoad Depot Museum
Attending were: Mary Metayer, Ron Kilburn, Sarah King, Linda Cross and Heather Buczkowki”Read