Notes from November 16, 2016 Economic Development Task Force Meeting

Location: Swanton Municipal Complex
Time: 5:35pm

Attendees: Ron & Sandy Kilburn, Adam Paxman, Brian Savage, Don Collins, Molly Lambert, Suzanne Washburn, David Jescavage, Monica Greene, Marianna Gamache

Agenda Item #1: Brownsfield Update

Update:

* So far, so good. Nothing negative has come from discussions on the project area.
* Meeting on December 8th at 5:30pm at the Swanton Town Office to continue discussion and determine sites to work on.

Agenda Item #2: Update Community & Economic Development position

* There are 3 individuals who have applied.
* Swanton Selectboard will create a committee to interview the candidates. EDC may be asked to participate (UPDATE 12/14/16: Terri O’Shea is on the interview committee).

Agenda Item #3: 2017 Rural Business Development Grant

* It was mentioned that we should re-submit our paperwork for the 2017 Rural Business Development Grant. As Molly Lambert mentioned, we had a very good grant-writing and many were surprised we didn’t get it.
* This will be on the agenda for the next meeting to discuss.

New Business

* This will be on the agenda for the next meeting to discuss.
* Ron Kilburn mentioned that he worked on a $5000 grant with the Northern Forrest Canoe Trail to help promote canoeing in Swanton (?). We won! Way to go Ron!
* Monica Greene presented the task force with exciting news of an expansion plan for VPT. It is a 3-5 year vision that includes 30-50 new jobs at VPT over the 3-5 years, with a portion of the expansion expected to occur in the next 6-9 months. She requested support from our legislators should permits get delayed in the approval process.
* Molly Lambert brought up the Highgate border with regards to only having one truck lane to get thru. Rep’s Savage and Gamache were asked to look into.
* Action: Reps’ Savage and Gamache will explore border crossing and report back when they have answers.
* It was asked when the new digital sign would be installed. It is expected to be here on Dec. 8th and, weather pending, installed shortly thereafter.

Meeting adjourned at 6:45pm

Next meeting: To be determined, Will look at having it at the next No. Gateway meeting in Jan.

Swanton Enhancement Project © 2016
Webhosting provided by Swanton Village and Chamber of Commerce